Dear Jackson Families,
The Jackson staff is looking forward to welcoming our students back for the 2021-2022 school year. I am incredibly grateful as I approach the start of my fifth year at Jackson School. As our staff returns August 16 and 17, we will spend time together working on our priorities including our continued laser focus on literacy, specifically writing, and social emotional learning through student collaboration.
This letter contains some important information to help your family prepare for the start of school on Wednesday, August 18. I encourage you to save this email to refer back to throughout the year. Please note that instruction will be in person, for full days. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out via email or by calling the office. We are happy to help you settle into the school year in any way that we can.
Fall 2021 Plan
As we move forward together, updates regarding the Fall 2021 Plan will be forthcoming to the entire community from District 205 and shared here.
- August 9: Classroom Assignments will begin to be available in PowerSchool. It will take until Tuesday or Wednesday for this process to be completed. We appreciate your patience!
- August 10: New student tours at 10:00am (grades 1-5), supply pick-up from 1-3pm
- August 12: Bus routes sent to families; New student tours at 3:00pm (grades 1-5)
- August 13: Supply pick-up from 9-11am
- August 16: Supply pick-up from 4-6pm
- August 17: Teacher Meet and Greet/Supply drop off from 3:30-4:30pm
- August 18 First day of school (full day)
- August 25: First Student Late Arrival; students arrive between 9:30-9:45am
- September 2: Curriculum Night (in person) additional details to follow
Supply Pick-Up Information
There are a few dates listed above for supply pick-up if you ordered a kit through PTA. These dates are: Tuesday, August 10 from 1-3pm, Friday, August 13 from 9-11am, and Monday, August 16 from 4-6pm. You may enter Jackson through the main entrance and a parent volunteer will direct you to the multi-purpose room to find your child’s kit. You can take the kit home, label supplies, and bring the kit back on August 17 during Meet and Greet. If you still need to purchase supplies, you can find the list on our website.
New Student Tours
We are excited to welcome our new 1-5 grade families to Jackson! We will be hosting two optional tours for new families on August 10 at 10:00am and August 12 at 3:00pm. This is a great opportunity to get more comfortable with our school prior to the start of the year. Please come to the main entrance and the tour will begin from there. We encourage you and your child to wear a mask for these tours.
Jackson School Daily Schedule
- 8:00am- Student arrival begins (see procedures below)
- 8:15am- Tardy Bell
- Lunch times
- K and 4th grade-11:40am-12:40pm
- 1st and 2nd grades- 10:40am-11:40am
- 3rd and 5th grades- 12:40-1:40pm
- 12:00- PM Kindergarten lines up and enters through Door 8
- 12:05- PM Kindergarten begins
- 3:00- Dismissal
- 3:05- Busses Depart
*Please note the late arrival bell schedule here.
Student Morning Line-Up
Students can begin to enter the building at 8:00am. The tardy bell rings at 8:15am. Entry doors are listed below:
- All Day Kindergarten and 3rd Grade- Door 5 (near playground on north end of blacktop)
- 2nd and 4th Grades- Door 7 (middle of blacktop)
- ½ Day Kindergarten and 1st Grade- Door 8 (south end of Mitchell near picnic tables)
- 5th Grade- Door 13 (on Swain side of building)
- Cars pick up in the parking lot near Door 4. Enter the parking lot on Van Buren going WEST ONLY.
- Parents on foot may meet their child along Mitchell Avenue. We encourage you to determine a meeting spot with your child prior to school starting.
- ***Busses will be parked on Mitchell Avenue. ***ALL walkers will exit the doors by the playground.
Morning Car Line Procedures
For the safety of our students and neighbors, we ask that you follow the procedures below when arriving to Jackson each morning.
- Drop-off along Mitchell Avenue, going SOUTH ONLY. Please do not drive north and have students cross Mitchell.
- Follow posted no parking/stopping/standing signs. Do NOT exit your vehicle on Mitchell Avenue.
- Your child can exit your vehicle anywhere along Mitchell and walk to their line-up area. This helps keep traffic moving.
- If you want to drive and walk your child to the line up area, you may legally park on side streets following posted signs.
- School busses have priority for drop off and will pass the car line and pull all the way to the south end of Mitchell near Van Buren.
- We encourage you and your child to walk to school when possible.
- The car line on Mitchell takes about 7 minutes for parents to drive through. Please be patient and allot yourself ample time. On days of inclement weather, the line does take longer.
Student Late Arrivals
- Student Late Arrivals take place 1-2 times per month on Wednesdays.
- Students arrive starting at 9:30am. The tardy bell rings at 9:45am.
- Kindergarten will have a modified schedule on these days, with AM kindergarten from 9:45am to 11:55am and PM kindergarten from 12:55pm to 3:00pm.
- You can see the dates for elementary late arrivals on this calendar.
We welcome back many returning staff members and welcome some new members to our team! Ms. Caity Collins returns as our assistant principal. She will be at Jackson for half the day on Mondays, and full days on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Ms. Collins will spend the rest of her week at Emerson School.
- All Day Kindergarten: Mrs. Sgarbossa, Ms. Udelhofen
- Half Day Kindergarten: Ms. Keeley
- First Grade: Ms. Vega, Mrs. Larsen, Miss Harris, Ms. Allaire
- Second Grade: Ms. Hermanek, Mrs. Young, Mrs. Wenig
- Third grade: Mrs. Michalski, Mrs. Latoria, Mrs. Moran
- Fourth Grade: Ms. Paist, Mrs. Lejcar, Mrs. Jorbin
- Fifth Grade: Mrs. Brooks, Mrs. Siegers, Ms. Germanos
- Special Education: Mrs. Menconi, Ms. O’Keefe, Mrs. O’Neil
- Special Education Instructional: Mrs. Watson (Collins) and Mrs. Borsellino (Phillips)
- Reading Specialist: Mrs. Scheel, Mrs. Fiore
- Instructional Coach: Mrs. Schmidt and Ms. Noncek
- Music, Art, PE, Library: Mrs. Alfano, Mrs. Neigel, Mrs. Henderson, Mrs. Walton
- EL: Mrs. Cote
- REACH: Mrs. O’Leary
- Social Worker: Ms. Bartnick
- Speech Language Pathologists: Mrs. Messina, Mrs. Callaghan
- Occupational Therapists: Mrs. Rancatore
- Physical Therapist: Mrs. Peterson
- Psychologist: Mrs. Annen
Students have three daily options for lunch: bring lunch from home, order hot lunch from school (free for all students), or go home for their lunch hour. Students choosing to go home for lunch must check in/out through the office. If your child wishes to go home with a friend for lunch, we must have written permission from both families. Students going home for lunch should arrive back to Jackson a few minutes before the end of their lunchtime so they are on time to class.
The Jackson bus route lists will be posted at our Jackson website and you will also receive an email August 13 with your bus information. Please contact Jacki Lawrence at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. For the first several days, we recommend your child get to his/her bus stop at least 10 minutes ahead of the listed time on the route sheet. Please be patient with bus routes the first days of school.
Reporting an Absence
If your child will be absent from school. please remember to call the school attendance line at 630-617-2363. Please call any time before 8:15am to leave a message on the voicemail. If you do not call your child in absent before 8:15 am, we will be trying to contact you. Please attempt to schedule any appointments for your child outside of the school day to lessen absences. However, if you will need to pick up your child during the school day for an appointment, please call the office, send a note to the office, or email Jacki Lawrence (email@example.com) with the details so that we may arrange for this ahead of time.
Mrs. Jenna Kragel, our nurse, will be on maternity leave. Mariah Gasso and Rosanne Tansor will be covering our nurse position. If you need to contact the nurse for any reason, please use the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All students (with the exception of half day kindergarten) have a daily snack. This snack should consist of a plain fruit or vegetable for the safety of our students with allergies.
If you have any questions, you can reach the Jackson Office at 630-834-4544 between 8:00am and 4:00pm Monday through Friday.
Christine Trendel Caity Collins
Principal Assistant Principal