Dear Jackson Families,
We are looking forward to many events to celebrate the end of the 2019-2020 school year next week. We will host a virtual Field Day, virtual class parties, and a virtual celebration for our fifth graders. These celebrations are certainly not happening the way we hoped, but they are still very important to our staff and students. We are so proud of all their hard work this year!
Parents, as we head into our last week of Remote Learning, we owe you a huge THANK YOU! Your partnership with us during Remote Learning has been incredible. We appreciate your patience and support as we tried new things and learned along side of the students.
Virtual Field Day
On Tuesday, we will have a virtual Field Day. We know this isn’t the same as being together, but we are hopeful it will provide your child with a joyful, positive experience during our last week of school. These activities will take place of Reading or Math on your child’s remote menu for the day. Here are some documents to support you as you prepare for some simple fun! (Field Day participation is optional.)
Staffing Changes for 2020-2021
Next year brings a few changes to our Jackson team.
- Mrs. Brooks will be joining our fifth grade team as we celebrate Mrs. Schneider’s retirement.
- Mrs. Molidor will be joining Field Elementary as a part-time resource teacher next year. We will welcome Madeline Collins from out of the district to Jackson as a full time resource teacher.
- Mrs. Smith will be the assistant principal at Lincoln full time for 20-21. We will welcome Ms. Caity Collins to Jackson half time. Ms. Collins is currently the assistant principal at Emerson and Fischer.
- Mrs. Lempke, one of our reading specialists, will be moving on to be assistant principal of an elementary school in Arlington Heights. We wish her well! Mrs. Lindsey Fiore, currently teaching fourth grade at Hawthorne, will join our reading specialist team at Jackson.
Last Day of School
Friday, May 22 is our last school day for 2019-2020 and is a student attendance day. Please be sure to log your attendance into PowerSchool.
Celebrating Mrs. Schneider’s Retirement
After a long and wonderful career as a lifelong educator, Mrs. Schneider will be retiring at the end of this year. Quarantine celebrations are just not enough to honor her commitment and dedication to Jackson School! She is a fierce advocate for our students, making sure each had the opportunity for success. She has been a dedicated sponsor for student council and safety patrol. We will miss her hilarious sense of humor, nicknames, and leadership. We wish you well, Mrs. Schneider!
School Issued Device Drop-off
We will be collecting school issued iPads and Chromebooks after Memorial Day. More information coming soon!
Virtual Kindergarten Welcome
We will host our annual Kindergarten Welcome on Tuesday, May 19 at 5pm. Invitations with a Zoom link were sent via email to registered families. The session will also be recorded for parents that cannot attend. We hope to have Kindergarten student tours in August.
York High School Class of 2020 Community Cheer
D205 and York High School are hosting a Community Cheer for the York Class of 2020 as well as all graduates in the Elmhurst area beginning at 1 p.m. Sunday, May 17, 2020. The cheer marks the original commencement date for our graduating Dukes.
2020 graduates have been faced with a challenging way to celebrate a HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT. We hope that this community-wide effort lifts their spirits and shows our pride and support for them. Please see the schedule for the event and make plans to join in the celebration:
- 1:00-1:01 p.m. - Send up a Cheer! City of Elmhurst police officers will sound their sirens. D205 and the City of Elmhurst is inviting the entire community to send up a cheer for all Elmhurst graduates of the Class of 2020
- 1:02 p.m. - 1:10 p.m. - The York High School fight song will play over the loudspeakers at the stadium.
- 1:10 p.m. - 1:15 p.m. - Send up a Cheer for our Dukes! Honoring what would have been our seniors’ traditional entry into the York High School Fieldhouse for commencement, the horn at the stadium will sound. D205 is again inviting the entire community to send up a final cheer for our graduating Dukes. Join us from your lawns for a rousing “Community Cheer,” raising a celebration of our York seniors.
- 1:15 p.m. - Watch! A special video tribute to the York High School Class of 2020 will be accessible for viewing on the York website. The video will feature the reading of each senior’s name.The final act of commemoration will be the lighting of the York High School Football Stadium. Lights will remain on until 8:20 p.m. or 20:20 in military time.
#YorkGrad2020 - Class of 2020 Hashtag
Share your special Class of 2020 messages, pictures, and videos on social media, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram by adding #YorkGrad2020 to all of your posts. We encourage you to follow the hashtag throughout the commencement season to post, like and share your favorite memories. York High School and District 205 social media coordinators will be following and sharing as well.
City of Elmhurst Partners with Area Schools to Honor the Class of 2020
The City of Elmhurst has collaborated with various Elmhurst schools on a plan to honor all 2020 graduates. Here is how you can support our mission in recognizing our community’s graduating class:
This weekend residents, business owners and ALL Elmhurst Organizations…. Please DOWNLOAD THIS SIGN and display it proudly in your window. If you have a marquee, please post a special congratulations message to the Class of 2020.
If you are an Elmhurst business or organization, please consider adding THIS JPEG to your website and social pages with a message to our graduates.
Please share THIS VIDEO MESSAGE from our community leaders with a 2020 Elmhurst graduate.
D205 and Community Meal Services
D205 Grab-N-Go Meal Service
To assist students, the D205 Food Services Department is offering meal pick-up services during the closure period.
District 205 will supply meals for any students under 18. Pick up will take place at Churchville Middle School-Curb drive-thru and York High School - Curb drive-thru on Mondays and Wednesdays through the end of May 2020. We ask that as you pull through the pick-up line at CMS, please be courteous of our neighboring properties and not block driveways:
Monday, May 18 from 9:00-10:30 Grab N Go breakfast &/lunches for two days can be picked up for each child
Wednesday, May 20 from 9:00-10:30 Grab N Go breakfast &/lunches for five days can be picked up for each child.
May 25 No services.
Wednesday, May 27 from 9:00-10:30 Grab N Go breakfast &/lunches for three days can be picked for each child
Chromebook Support Needed During Remote E-Learning?
The York High School Technology Services Internship team holds a daily Chromebook help session daily (Mon-Fri) from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. at bit.ly/tsionline. Watch the TSI video for an overview of service.